Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 2 - Relaxing in Mandeville


Day Two – Mandeville Town Centre!

I woke up early (Jamaica is one hour behind, but I still got up at around 6 a.m.).  I went back to bed when I learned that nobody gets up that early unless they have to.  No problem, I can rewind it. 

Up at around 8:00 a.m.  After breakfast, we headed to the town centre of Mandeville, which is the capital of the Parish of Manchester. It was laid out in 1816, and still maintains much of its historical charm. Walking around, I imagined where my grandmother might have sold her produce in the open market or the library my dad would’ve stopped at on his way home from school. It’s a bustling town, and I can see why it’s a favorite destination for returning expats - cool climate, friendly people, all the conveniences you need and some sweeping mountain views to boot.

Back home for oxtail and rice and peas. It’s amazing I stayed awake after eating that meal (sorry folks, again, I was too greedy to take pictures). But, stay awake I did and it was back down to Mandeville Town Centre to check out the night life. We ended up at Mojitos Café Loft, an upscale lounge managed by the laid back and friendly Dermot.  If you want to know where Mandeville’s professionals go, this is the spot. The vibe is easy here, where white furniture and cool martinis set the scene for winding down the evening and Dermot makes you feel right at home here.



My cousin Andrea and Dermot of Mojitos Cafe
Hanging out in Mandeville was a great way to begin this vacation before we started to explore the island. I was ready to hit the road though, so first on the list for tomorrow…Negril!

No comments:

Post a Comment